2.06.2007

Warlick's Web Suggestions

Many of the sites mentioned in Chapter 2 of David Warlick's book were, to me, simplistic. We already know about many of them.

I did find two that have proved to be helpful for both teacher and student.

The first, mentioned on page 30, is Yahoogroups. This is a great way to connect with other people who are interested in the same things that you are. I used a YA fiction group recommended by Dr. Stearns last semester to find titles for my seminar topic on "Bullying in YA Literature." Librarians, teachers, and book lovers from around the country offered titles that I could use for my seminar. I believe that at least one other person in ENG 374 successfully used the YA group as well.

This site, called "The Way Back Machine" can help narrow down publication dates for websites that do not contain a publication date. This is EXTREMELY helpful when writing a paper that uses information from the web. How many times have you had to fake a date on your MLA bibliography because the page that you're citing doesn't give a date? I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it's definately a place to start.

Check these out and see how they can help you :o)

1 comment:

Jo Tutko said...

I thought that the Way back machine was a very usfull tool, to how the the pages of a site progressed as well. The internet archive aspect of the site, did seem to house some rather obscure information that i think will be helpfull in the future.