3.07.2007

Funny?? Or True....



Ok so by process of random searching on YouTube (the next best thing besides sliced bread) I found this video. I think it's supposed to be funny... but it's really not. It's funny in an ironic sort of way though-- I pictured the guy that was being beat as a student and the guys beating him the teachers. Obviously it's not literal, but isn't that what teachers often do to students?? They (figuratively) beat students over the head with books that they don't want to read, and then they expect students to absolutely love the text?? Well, I can assure you that while my 9th grade teacher klobbered us daily with Great Expectations, I couldn't stand the book.

Listen pretty closely to the kid at the end... He makes an interesting point.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan, this is a disturbing video to me. I agree w/your seeing the "beater" as teacher...wonder what prompted the videographers to make this one??

Thanks for sharing.

Kris Mark said...

Hi Megan,

I have to agree with Professor Stearns 100%. It was not only a bit disturbing, but I could not help but wonder what they were talking about or doing that stimulated them to make this video.

I guess in reality, that is how many students feel. They are overwhelmed with work to the point of exhaustion. This past week I had 5 midterms, the conference to attend to, and a lab practical to complete. By the end of the week, I felt like I could not breathe. I really felt like I got hit by a Mac truck. I hope that we never bombard our students to the point of feeling like this.