4.02.2007

Liverpool High Laptop Program

I was just watching the 11:00 news- specifically News Channel 9, and one story really stood out to me.

The news story told of the controversial laptop leasing program at Liverpool High School. As I understood it, students have the option to pay $25 per month to lease a laptop. The fee also includes tech support, a much needed and often used resource.This sounds like a great program- students have the technology the need and want right at their fingertips. Unfortunately, this program has met many challenges, and the district administrators, parents, and students alike have decided to phase-out the program.

Check out the program's website below:

Liverpool High School Voluntary Laptop Program

Naturally, something that sounds ideal usually is not without it's flaws. Take a look at this video created by a disgruntled Liverpool student:


What do you think? Is a laptop lease program a good idea? Or is it just more trouble than it's really worth?

**Note: I looked on the news channel's website for a transcript or video of the story, but I couldn't find anything. It may be too soon after the newscast to find this information, so I will check back periodically and update this post if anything becomes available.**

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Megan,
I think that this is a great program. Not having computers for everyone is one of the main concerns we have as pre-service teachers. I think that Liverpool is giving their students an excellent opportunity to experiment with technology.