4.11.2007

Online Bullying

So much of our class time is spent on all of the great things that technology has to offer to students and teachers. I (almost) wholeheartedly agree: technology can change the entire way that a student views school and what that student learns from school. Technology enhances learning, motivation, and interest- I don't think anyone would deny that.

We haven't really touched upon the downfalls of technology (other than our debate about the "paper-less" classroom). I saw a documentary (on Nightline? Dateline?) about a new phenomenon of internet bullying. This bullying comes in the form of text messages, instant messages, posting photos to the internet- you name it, I'm sure students have thought of it and used it in one way or another to bully and threaten another student.

Creating student unity is one of my passions as a future teacher. Sure, I'm "gung-ho" about teaching amazing books, helping students express themselves through writing, and integrating technology into it all, but above all else, I want to help my students create a safe, nurturing, and loving environment. Nobody should have to be afraid to come to school.

Have any of you future teachers given this any thought? What do you think you might do to combat the hate that students often show towards one another? What are you going to do prevent another Columbine? Afterall, teaching ELA isn't the only part of your job.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan, you bring up a very good point. Cyber-bullying is simply an extension of face-to-face bullying. The read/write/think web makes anything possible--the bad and the good.

I agree of course w/your wanting to create safe classroom spaces. It's harder to do than you might think--or perhaps you already know that. But it can be done!!

Mutual respect is hard to build in sites where adolescents have not had opportunities to work collaboratively especially.

Your primary responsibility is to stretch the intellects of your students and support them in developing more sophisticated literacies.

I am sometimes concerned when I hear pre-service teachers, often elementary ed majors, substitute 'caring environments" for intellectually challenging ones. I would cut no teacher slack who would substitute the former for the latter.

We are using how to use new tools and to imagine them in our classrooms. Of course, there is a downside to any tool that allows adolescents to hurt peers in cyberspace.

I'm glad you brought it up.

Willis said...

I love the idea that not only is my job going to be exploiting my love and passion of english to my students so that they can do the same, but to also unite my students to create a coequal, safe, harmonious environment. I will do everything and anything in my power to avoid conflicts that should not arise. I feel that immediately bringing my classroom together to know each other right off the bat is something that will be done. If there is group work, everyone will be mixed up--no set groups or anything like that. I will make my classroom so unique that I am positive it will be a great environment for everyone. I am confident that everyone has some trait in them that someone can learn to appreciate-- I will instill this idea in my kids always.

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan, browsing for new content.

Kris Mark said...

Hi Megan,

This is unfortunatly not a new issue. If anything, it is increasing. There is so much to be aware of from online hacking, bullying, (etc) that it puts such a downside on all the of things we have been learning. As a teacher, I think it would be necessary to have a lesson about online bullying. What it is, how to avoid it, what to do if it happens, and obviously, not to do it. We need to make it clear that such behaviors are not acceptable in our classrooms and if we hear of it, consequences will take place. My future career is feeling more and more intense as the days pass.