4.22.2007

Poem Generator

I just came across the Educational Technology Training Center's Poem Generator.

It's kind of fun to play around with-- I made a few random poems... There are many different formats to choose from. The poem below is what I wrote using the "This is the poem that..." form.

This poetry generator is kind of neat for use in any classroom, and especially one that employs Nancie Atwell's Reading Writing Workshop. If students are stuck with something to write about, they can easily mess around with this generator either to give a framework for further writing of a poem or for an idea for a short story, fiction piece, etc.


This is the poem that jumps
in the murky waters of the swamp
that smell
because things are rotten and
because there is no oxygen.

And when emotions
make me feel exposed
this is the poem that uncovers
the swampy

darkness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neat Megan!! How did you come accross this site?

Anonymous said...

Megan this is such a great site! I bet that you could use this for brainstorming. I think it would be a really fun way for students to generate their thoughts.

When I was student teaching, I taught the persuasive essay to 8th graders, and they ad a hard time brainstorming and coming up with ideas. I think that this would help get thoughts flowing!

Megan said...

Kind of funny how I came across the site... on the top of most blogger pages there's a button that says "next blog" and in moments of boredom, I click this link and see what comes up.

One such blog was a female poet, and she had linked the poem generator to a post that she did, and she added the poem that she did.

It was from the William Carlos Williams poem "This is Just to Say" generator.

You'd be surprised with the kind of information you can find when clicking on random blogs!

Jami said...

Awesome find! What an interesting and relevant website to find. I am definitely going to play with it later. I can only imagine how much fun that students could get using something like this. It could give them direction if they're stuck with writing. It seems kind of like Mad Libs, doesn't it? Remember those?

Jami